For most professional musicians, winning an Emmy Award and being Grammy nominated would be the apex of achievement of one’s career. But for David Nichtern it’s just another part of his journey.
Listen to the Full Interview with David Nichtern
David — rightfully so, seems to take pride in his ability to not be too attached to labels and ego based accolades, but by no means has that stopped him from achieving at levels most would envy.
Without giving away too much of his story, let’s assign some labels to him anyway. In no specific order, our guest today is an author, a senior Buddhist teacher, a CEO, a business consultant to clients such as Goldman Sachs. He’s a published composer, a producer, a professional guitarist. To add a little context, let me mention that David’s recorded and jammed with the likes of Stevie Wonder, Jerry Garcia, and Paul Simon and written songs for the soap opera “One Life To Live” and his song “Midnight At The Oasis” became a mainstream classic.
We got deep on this one. Really deep. We talked about some of my favorite topics including the importance of intention and awareness as spiritual beings, as well as creative process and life changing mile markers such as becoming a parent, making it as a and pivoting careers.
More About David
- He was one of the original students of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche – a renowned Tibetan Buddhist meditation master who combined a contemporary, secular approach to meditation with the ancient practices and philosophies of Tibetan Buddhism.
- At the apex of a diverse and prolific career, David has become the Founder and CEO of Dharma Moon – an online mindfulness-based education platform and global community. His team offers meditation training and meditation teacher training, life and career coaching, and creative and business incubation based on the principles from his most recent book and podcast, “Creativity,
- Spirituality & Making A Buck,” (published in 2019 by Wisdom Publications). Dharma Moon has been established to help people integrate and balance their creative expression with their spiritual practice and livelihood.
- David has been the Director of Karme Choling Meditation Center in Vermont, Director of Buddhist Studies and Practice at OM Yoga Center (NYC), and Director of the Dharmadhatu Meditation Center in Los Angeles. He has created and taught meditation teacher trainer programs for OM yoga, Empowered Yoga, Kaia Yoga, Metrowest Yoga, Samar asa Center (LA), True Nature Yoga (Tokyo), and Journey Meditation.
- He has also been a business consultant with companies creating a variety of offerings integrating meditation in a larger health and well-being context – including Goldman Sachs, Balanced Athlete,and Journey Meditation, among many others.
- David is also the writer of “Awakening From the Daydream: Re-imagining The Buddha’s Wheel of Life”, (released by Wisdom Publications in October, 2016). He has several online meditation workshops available through CreativeLive.com.
- David records for and periodically tours with Grammy nominated kirtan performer Krishna Das.
Links & Resources:
- David’s Website: https://davidnichtern.com/
- Dharma Moon Website: https://www.dharmamoon.com/
- David Nichtern on Twitter: https://twitter.com/davidnichtern
- David’s Book: Creativity, Spirituality & Making a Buck
Connect with Jay Alders
Connect with The Shifting Perceptions Podcast:
Connect with Chelsea Alders & Companies
* Contains Affiliate Links
Watch On YouTube