Listen to the Full Interview with Dominyka Obelenyte
For most humans, being above average at one thing is enough to offer validation. For a handful of people, the idea of being in the top 10% at anything is a driving force powerful enough to motivate you for a lifetime. For the rare ones…the gifted few on the planet, being the best in the world is not only a dream, but a mission.
If you look up the “over achiever”, you might see a photo of Dom. She started grappling at the age of nine and by 19, she earned her black belt under the instruction of Jiu Jitsu legend Marcelo Garcia.
After High School, Dom studied visual art at Columbia University and is currently deeply focused on developing her Jiu Jitsu legacy as well as launching a career as a Fine Artist.
Most know Dominyka for her widely celebrated accomplishments in the world of BJJ, but in this episode I wanted to go a few layers deeper. Dominyka is a self-described Romanticist and admits, “I often find myself trapped in moments of overthinking.”
As a fellow artist, I deeply get that overthinking part. Being overly analytical is both a blessing and a curse for artists and as you’ll hear in this episode, there are more than a few mindset crossovers for Obelenyte.
Dominyka’s artwork, like her personality, consists of nuance and conflict, peace and angst, light-heartedness and self-reflection. A look into her body of work consists of detailed and intricate pieces intertwined with patterns and complex compositions as well as playful, mysterious, and deep abstract elements.
Let us know what you think about the episode and if you loved it, please subscribe and leave an honest review on Apple Podcasts or on whatever player you’re listening.
• How Jiu Jitsu influences her Art…and vice versa.
• Does creativity guide her grappling?
• The backstory and evolvement of Dominyka’s Artwork.
• The realities of making it as an artist.
• The role of discipline and self-sacrifice.
• How being tunnel-visioned and sheltered gave Dom space and determination to make it.
• Early childhood for Dominyka and how she’s grown as a person.
• Self-expression in art and Jiu Jitsu.
• Being in the moment and how the ego fits in.
Dominyka Obelenyte Links & Resources:
• Art Website: https://www.dominyka-art.com/
• BJJ Website: https://dominykao.com/
• Buy Prints: https://www.dominyka-art.com/domko
• Online Coaching: https://champchat.com/dom
Jay Alders NFT Collections
- Virtual NFT Gallery: https://oncyber.io/jayalders
- OpenSea Jay Alders: https://opensea.io/collection/jayalders
- OpenSea Hydroglyphics; https://opensea.io/collection/hydroglyphics
- OpenSea Chromascopic: https://opensea.io/collection/chromascopic
- OpenSea The Line Up: https://opensea.io/collection/thelineup
- OpenSea Unravelled Reality: https://opensea.io/collection/unravelled-reality
- OBJKT: https://objkt.com/profile/tz1hH3jdYayGh14Aat8XHNezyBr2kpkzCz4B
- Foundation: https://foundation.app/@jayalders
Connect with Jay Alders
- Jay Alders Website: jayalders.com
- Text me: jayalders.com/text
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/jayalders
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/jayalders
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/jayalders
Connect with The Shifting Perceptions Podcast:
Connect with Chelsea Alders & Companies
* Contains Affiliate Links